Saturday, April 14, 2012

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

In anticipation of the upcoming release of City of Lost Souls, the fifth book in the Mortal Instruments Series, my first post is going to be about a series that really gelled my love for the Young Adult genre.

When I first saw the cover of City of Bones in Waldenbooks I was mesmerized. It was the first book I'd seen that had that matte finish that felt like velvet when you touched it. There was a shirtless man on the front with swirls all over his skin that had light pouring from them. It was beautiful.

I bought all three books and read them voraciously. I will admit that the first book didn't suck me in from the very start, but soon enough it had me by the throat.

The book is about Clary Frey, who stumbles onto a couple of teenagers in the process of killing another in the back room of a club. Only, none of them are what they seem, which is made even more clear when the victim disappears into thin air in front of her eyes.

When one of the killers shows up at the coffee shop that Clary frequents with her best friend Simon, she discovers that Jace and his friends are actually Shadowhunters a race of warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons and keeping the rest of the supernatural world in line.

I won't give you anymore info. I love this series. Luckily, I discovered it when all three of the originally planned series were out. Now, I'm sure do to the overwhelming demand for more from fans, Cassandra Clare, the author has extended the series into a six book series.

The leading man in this series, Jace is one of my favorite of all time. He is snarky and sexy and completely fierce. Clary, the heroine is strong but likeable, attributes I find far rarer in YA fiction than I'd like.

This series has everything you could ever want in Paranormal/Fantasy - Demon hunting teens, Vampires, Werewolves, Fae, Warlocks and shirtless men with tattoos that give them power.

This book is well written, with some descriptions that are unique in a good way that really make the images come to life. The world that Clare builds for us rich and beautiful and the perfect escape from the real world. I've actually re-read the first three books in the series several times. I can turn to them when I need a nice break from reality and a guaranteed good read.

I give this book 5 stars out of 5 stars



(PS - I love discussing books - if you've read it let me know what you think. Or pop on over to GoodReads and join the discussion - http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/849622-important )

7 comments:

  1. I loved this book sooooo much. I read it after I finished twilight and fell in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read the others in the series? I can't wait for the next one!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this series O_O
    Sounds pretty good tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! It's so good. I don't have the first book as an extra, otherwise I would have done a giveaway for it but I do have the second and third.

      It's just too sad to hear that other people haven't been introduced to this wonderful world!

      Keep watching the site, oh and of course don't forget to follow us so don't miss out on the updates. Depending on the response, Maybe I'll do giveaway closer to the release of City of Lost Souls.

      Delete
  3. I love the review, Monica!! I think it was you that suggested this series to me last year, and I'm so glad I read them.

    Jace is definitely a force to be reckoned with...and sought after...and drooled over... LOL I just love him!

    The only hang-ups I had with this series is when their feelings blinded them to what was really going on in some situations. Yes, that happens in real life, and yes, it makes for great drama in a book. But yes, I was yelling at my Kindle and telling them to wise up. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the best books are the ones that get us passionate enough about the characters to yell at our books or curse the authors name or have such passionate, violent reactions. I'm angry with the author at the moment for some happenings in book 4 but I think that means she's doing her job. haha. :D

      Delete
    2. That's true, which is why I will keep reading these books. LOL

      Delete