Monday, April 30, 2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake


Cas Lowood kills ghosts.  He hunts them down and kills them so they can’t continue to kill the living. It’s a skill/profession he inherited from his father.

The ghost he is hunting currently is like none he’s encountered before.  Anna Korlov, a young girl murdered on her way to a dance.  And her pretty white dress still drips from the blood that spilled from her slit throat.

Vengeful, beautiful ghost who tears people limb from limb.  Teen boy who kills the dead.  What more could you want?  Right?

I really wanted to like this book.   Maybe that is why it fell short for me.  I tried to get this book several different times.  I ordered it from a local bookstore, but I don’t think they put my name on it because it wasn’t there when I went in to pick it up.  Then the first two times I tried the Barnes and Noble in Anchorage, they didn’t have it.

All of the build-up and hype caused by the wait and the great reviews had my expectations too high.  Unfortunately, as sometimes is the case, having high expectations can lead to being let down.

The writing in this book was really good.  The kind of good that is clear even though a professional editor helped to shape into a polished beauty, the author has a way with words.  The problem was that it just didn’t pull me in.  It was easier to see the writing than the story for me.

The one thing I will give it is the author and the publisher didn’t wimp out on the gore just because it was a YA book.  Though the gore fit in some place, in others it felt like it was there for just so it could be called horror.

I don’t have much to say bad or good about the book.  It just didn’t do it for me.  It did for many other people based on the great reviews.   

I give this book 2.75 stars. (yes, I can make quarter stars if I want to.) J

No comments:

Post a Comment